Mini Yam Basket
50g teng mien flour, mixed with 50ml hot boiling water until just cooked
40g pork lard
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp five spice powder
½ tsp sugar
4 cups oil for deep-frying
5 tbsp oil
100g chopped shallots
1 tbsp chopped garlic
3 tbsp dried shrimps, soaked and chopped
2 stalks lemongrass, tender white part only
1 tbsp chilli boh
1 tbsp meat curry powder
200g chicken breast meat, diced
100g petai, diced
1 red chilli, diced
1 onion, diced
½ tsp salt
½ tbsp sugar
Some lettuce and fried meehoon, for decoration
- Yam basket: Steamed yam until cooked and soft. Combine with other ingredients and mix until smooth. Chill in the fridge for about 2 hours.
- Remove and divide into 10 portions and round up. Chill in the fridge for about ½ hours until slightly firm.
- Remove yam dough from fridge, dust hands tapioca flour and shape yam dough into small bowl. Deep-fry in hot oil with medium low heat until golden brown. Dish and drain. Set aside.
- Filling: Heat up oil, saute chopped shallot and garlic until aromatic. Add in dried shrimps and saute until fragrant. Add in lemongrass, chilli boh, chicken and stir-fry until aromatic. Cover with lid and stir-fry at low heat for 2 hours.
- Add in seasoning, petai, red chilli, onion and stir-fry until fragrant and well mixed. Dish into the fried yam baskets.
- Arrange onto serving platter and decorate with fried meehoon, lettuces. Serve.