Tangy Cabbage Meat Balls
1 ¼ 小匙盐
1 big cabbage
600g minced meat
1 small bowl cold firm cooked rice
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1 tsp corn flour
1 1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 tbsp oil
1 big onion, chopped
1 small tin tomato purée
1 small carrot, grated
1 liter chicken stock
Salt and pepper
- Bring a big pot of water to boil, add whole cabbage with the head down and cook for about 10 – 15 mins to soften the leaves. Dish up cabbage and immerse into a big pot of cold water. Use a small knife to cut through the head of cabbage to release the soften cabbage leaves, taking care not to tear up the leaves. Use only 10 big leaves, soak cabbage leaves till cold and drain well.
- Put all the ingredients A for the meat balls into a mixing bowl, stir in one direction till the meat becomes sticky and well mixed. Divide into 10 parts and form into balls.
- Spread big soften cabbage leaf on a board, cut a V shape to remove the top hard part of the leaf, put meat ball on one end and roll to cover the meat ball and form into a round cabbage ball.
- Heat up oil, add cabbage balls and pan-fry till slightly brown and the meat is firm. Dish up.
- In the remaining oil, stir-fry chopped onion, tomato purée and grated carrot till fragrant. Add chicken stock and bring to boil. Arrange cabbage balls into the stock and bring to boil. Cover and lower heat, cook till cabbage meatballs are cooked and cabbage is tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Dish onto a serving plate, serve with some sour cream.