Egg Tarts Hong Kong Style
1 portion of Basic Pastry For Egg Tarts
300 ml hot water
4 eggs, lightly beaten
150 full cream milk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Skin: Prepare pastry as stated.
- Skin: Mix sugar with hot water and stir till sugar has dissolved. Leave to cool.
- Beat eggs lightly, add sugar syrup, full cream milk, vanilla and stir well. Strain and remove all the bubbles.
- Pour egg mixture into the prepared egg tart moulds till 90% full.
- Bake in a preheated oven at the lower shelf, using 180C, till egg custard is set ( test by inserting a tooth pick into the centre of filling, if it comes out clean, then the filling is cooked) and pastry is golden brown. Remove from the oven.
- Leave to cool slightly before removing the egg tarts from the moulds. Put into paper cups and serve hot.
Note: Never over bake the egg tarts till the egg custard puff up, as the egg custard will shrink when it is cold. The surface will not be smooth then.